Let’s talk about levels of consciousness, and the iceberg effect. When we see an iceberg we see 1 per cent of the iceberg and the other 99 per cent is unseen. Psychology is a lot about the unseen 99 per cent.
The dangerous part of the iceberg is not the 1 per cent we see, it’s the 99 per cent we don’t see.
When we look at mindset, the chances are, most of what you see isn’t the dangerous part of your psychology. It isn’t part of the psychology that’s preventing you – although it has an impact – it’s the 99 per cent of your psychology that you’re not seeing that affects you the most because it is on autoplay, or auto informing, all our habit behaviours.
Look at the brain.
We’ve got this incredible consciousness that processes 16 trillion bits of information every one second. That’s enormous processing power.
But here’s the part that’ll freak you out.
The average human being is only conscious of 2,000 bits of that information, which means the remaining 15,800 trillion bits of information is unconscious.
The goal with psychology is to bring that massive chunk of unconsciousness into the conscious so that we can make some significant shifts.
The goal of psychology is to develop a consciousness greater than what you had the day before so you can become aware of the stuff that’s playing up in your head, both consciously and unconsciously.
The songs, the routines that you play in that 1 per cent conscious space has created the playlist that’s on repeat and playing in the 99 per cent unconscious space.
We program consciously for our subconscious to work. There are certain aspects of our subconscious that are just automated.
Automation is a great thing, in business and also in biology. It’d really suck if you had to tell your heart to beat (heart beat, heart beat), and your lungs to breathe (lungs expand, lungs contract). There are certain functions that thankfully just run.
There are certain psychological functions that were programmed very consciously. They were programmed thru what you observed, they were programmed thru what you were told, they were programmed thru what you interpreted as right or wrong on a regular and frequent basis.
Now, if you take this information that you’re seeing and you have it demonstrated and repeated on a repaticious basis it starts to seep into the unconscious, and the unconscious puts it onto autopilot so you can free up the conscious brain.
The conscious brain is a cognitive miser, it wants to conserve as much energy as humanly possible. It hates expending energy, and sees anything that requires extended expenditure of energy as a threat. That’s why many people don’t want to change because change requires a lot of thought. You start thinking about it, and go, ‘F*ck too hard. I’ll do it tomorrow.’
We have two biological responses, to either move forward towards, or to move away.
To pursue opportunity to survive, or to run away from threat that could potentially end us.
The brain looks at the expenditure of energy as a threat, and as a result it moves a lot of process that are up in the 1 per cent, tip of the iceberg area, down into the subconscious area so it doesn’t have to think about them. We call these – habits.
All of us have psychological habits that are deeply unconscious, which are what we refer to as your behaviour that you see on an everyday basis.
Do you observe yourself during or after a behaviour and ask yourself, ‘Why the f*ck do I do that?’
The cool part is we are a bio-supercomputer.
You get a computer to do what you want it to do by programming it.
Every single person has been programmed to produce behaviors but we forget along the way, when and where that programming was done.
At what point do you want to turn the lights on, and I suggest we turn the lights on what’s going on in the 1 per cent conscious, tip of the iceberg space, as well as what’s going on in the 99 per cent subconscious space.
Latest posts by Kerwin Rae (see all)
.yuzo_related_post imgwidth:126.5px !important; height:88px !important;
.yuzo_related_post .relatedthumbline-height:15px;background: !important;color:!important;
.yuzo_related_post .relatedthumb:hoverbackground:#fcfcf4 !important; -webkit-transition: background 0.2s linear; -moz-transition: background 0.2s linear; -o-transition: background 0.2s linear; transition: background 0.2s linear;;color:!important;
.yuzo_related_post .relatedthumb acolor:!important;
.yuzo_related_post .relatedthumb a:hover color:!important;}
.yuzo_related_post .relatedthumb:hover a color:!important;
.yuzo_related_post .relatedthumb:hover .yuzo__text–title color:!important;
.yuzo_related_post .yuzo_text, .yuzo_related_post .yuzo_views_post color:!important;
.yuzo_related_post .relatedthumb:hover .yuzo_text, .yuzo_related_post:hover .yuzo_views_post color:!important;
.yuzo_related_post .relatedthumb margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 5px 5px 5px 5px;
Share if you enjoyed this post!